About 2 weeks ago Matt and I cut up all of our credit cards. I am not going to lie it was a very hard thing to do! I still have 1 but its the one Matt uses for work and it is literally only for an emergency. For the first several years of our marriage we did not even own a credit card. I was so against having them. Well life happens. I have had so many surgerys its not even funny, we had kids, we needed diapers sometimes, or gas, tires, or food. Twice in our marriage Matt has been unemployed and we had kids to feed. Anyway we got a bunch of credit card debit. We have been trying to pay it off but it takes forever.
I had all our medical bills spread out on the table so I could call and set up payments on them. I started to cry, its so overwhelming. Rodney asked me why I was upset. I asked him if he knew where any buried treasure or gold was and I laughed. He went and got me all the money in his bank, I told him that that is his money and it was ok he could keep it. He said well at least keep 2 coins, I said ok and told him thank you, then he put 3 down and ran off. Then a few minutes later all the kids emptied their banks and gave me all their money. I balled. Karlee was trying to get her bank down from her dresser and accidentally dropped her piggy bank she has had from when she was a baby, it broke. So then she started to cry. She told me, "I was trying to help by getting you my money and now you will have to spend more money to buy me a new bank, I am so sorry." I told her it was no problem. I have a really cute coin purse my dad gave me and she has a wallet so I told her she could have my coin purse so she doesn't need a piggy bank anymore.
Kids are funny people. This morning I woke up to the boys fighting and I was so frustrated with them and then all of them even Mason were so excited to give me all their money to help the family out. A few times my kids have said how they wish they had some of the cool gadgets that there friends have and I have told them that if I go to work they will be able to have those things and they always say No they would rather not have those items and have me home with them. Moments like today when they saw I was stressed and they were so willing to give me everything they had sure make me so proud of them. I love that they all have such good hearts.
*** Normally I would not share such private things and we don't need anything. We just are adjusting to being on a much tighter budget. If you have credit card debt I challenge you to cut them up and live with out them. We can do it!!

3 comments:
I am so proud of you! We're working on this same goal. It takes a lot of faith and determination. We love Dave Ramsey and curse him at times. Debt really is bondage! Love ya!
Your story is tender and such a blessing, especially when in shares the goodness of your kids. You and Matt are outstanding examples. Kids must learn giving from seeing others....in this case, their parents. Credit cards are bondage. Have strength, carry on and you will notice very, very soon how much better your life is without cards. Thank you for sharing your endearing story, too. Loves! Susan
I've shared this story with several people because it just warms my heart to know the sweetness of those kids. They have such good hearts - and have been taught well by great parents! I actually read it the other day when I was having kind of a crappy day, and it truly made me smile and remember what is really important in life - love, family, faith, and so many of the little things that make us smile and thank Heavenly Father for each and every day.
Post a Comment